Tuesday, 25 August 2015

Mummy stuff - being busy


Have you noticed just how busy we all are lately? I have been waiting for a 'quiet' week for about 2 months now. And it doesn't look like I'll get it any time soon! But is that my own doing?

I love being busy because it usually means I have a lot of fun things on, and it also means I become really productive. Since having a baby, I have learnt to just do the housework when Miss M is asleep. Because once she is awake, there will be plenty more to do - feeding, changing nappies, playing. Since going back to work, I have learnt to do everything on my days off. But it seems the more I do, the more there is to do! Or have I created extra work for myself?

A few years ago I remember mentioning to someone that I didn't know how to relax. It sounds silly doesn't it - don't we all know how to relax? But in my case, I always feel guilty when I lay on the lounge and watch a DVD. A million things fly through my head; things I 'should' or 'could' be doing. The same happens when I lay down in bed at night, when 'the list' begins... things I should have done that day, things I have to do tomorrow, things I have to remember for next week... When does it end?!

The thing is, the to-do list will always be there. There is always something you could be doing. There will always be something to clean, or declutter, or errands to run down town, or email inboxes to clean out, or messages to reply to, or grass to mow, or cars to wash. And we could spend more time exercising, or catching up with friends, or meal planning, or washing to do, or searching for new recipes to try. Even once you've cleaned your house, it will no doubt need a clean next week. Life doesn't stop. But rest is so important. And usually we learn this the hard way. 

I usually start to feel run-down, and feel a sore throat or a cold coming on. This is our bodies way of telling us to slow down, and to rest! I usually find I can shut it up with some more cleaning haha! 

We shouldn't feel guilty when we step back from the mess and take time out for ourselves. As mothers (and as women and men!) we NEED it! Believe me, I am the last person that wants to take this advice. Like I said, I love being busy, and it's almost like a medal you can wear around your neck after a productive day; something that will impress others. If I want to be a good mum to Miss M, and a good wife to Brendan, I need to be able to relax, and rest, and be refreshed so I am ready to go the next day. Especially when Miss M isn't sleeping through - I need all the rest I can get! 

So when the house looks like you've lost a game of Jumanji, and your to-do list is out of control....

~ boil the kettle and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee

~ pick out a favourite DVD or TV series and enjoy a few episodes

~ find an old favourite book and curl up in the sun

~ send a friend a message to meet up for a coffee

~ head out for a relaxing afternoon walk

~ put some music on and dance around the loungeroom!

~ spend time on a project or doing a hobby you enjoy 

~ have a nanna nap

~ spend time outside, laying on the grass, staring at the clouds...

And when you're done relaxing, throw the to-do list out, and just create a 'list of 3' - just 3 things you will get done each day. A long to-do list is far too overwhelming, but 3 things seem a lot more manageable. And once all 3 things are done, you can spend more time relaxing! 

Enjoy ;)


[For more, read Organising the Four of Us' blog post on 'Stopping the glorification of busy']

No comments:

Post a Comment