Pregnancy Diary Weeks 18-21

My pregnancy is generally going well! People ask me how I'm feeling, and I'm honestly just feeling normal (physically), as if I wasn't pregnant, but you can definitely tell now! My stomach is growing steadily, and I've organised all my maternity clothes into piles in the guest room as that's all I'm wearing now! 

I am back to feeling a bit tired this week, but I'm putting it down to working 3 days last week and then going away on a work course for 2 days (essentially meaning I worked 5 in a row, which I'm not used to!) I used the two weekend days to have days at home and really made a point of relaxing, and that's helped. I have been feeling emotional though. Which is totally normal for pregnancy, and totally normal for me (happened last pregnancy many times too). I have cried a few times this week just feeling overwhelmed by lots of little things piling up. It's nothing really to worry about yet, but because I have a history of depression, I'll be keeping an eye on it and will go straight to a counsellor when and if I need to! I'm a big believer in counsellors & psychologists & having a positive mental health! 

I'll backtrack a tiny bit to 17 weeks and 4 days though... I woke up not feeling so good and even before I'd made myself breakfast, I'd vomited. Miss M had been vomiting 2 days before for half a day (well over 7 times in a short period, poor thing!) so I assumed maybe I'd caught that. I had some toast because I was starving but that came back up too. I felt very weak so layed on the lounge until we made a decision for Brendan to come home from work to look after Miss M. I vomited another 5 or 6 times throughout the day (I'd been trying to eat dry crackers, and sip water and it was all coming up - even a hydralyte icy pole wouldn't stay down) and when it got to 12 hours after I'd started with no end in sight, I rang maternity at the hospital and they said to definitely come in and go to emergency and they'd let them know I was on my way. We waited probably an hour until I got onto the worlds most uncomfortable bed, but I had the nicest nurse so that was good! She put me on a drip as I was very dehydrated (so much so that they couldn't get the cannula into my hand and instead put it into my elbow) and gave me some maxalon once the doctor had seen me. I kept assuming it was a gastro bug but they said the symptoms were more in line with hyperemesis gravidarum (extreme morning sickness). The drip made a massive difference - I felt pretty good after a few hours on that as well as a much needed sleep. They took me in a wheelchair to a private room about 9:30pm which was so nice however I got moved back to a ward with 4-beds at about 11:30pm as someone needed the private room. That was fine, I didn't expect a private room anyway! In the morning (and almost 2 bags of fluid later) I was able to keep breakfast down and felt heaps better. The doctor said I was able to go home so I was discharged with a script for maxalon for nausea, in case it happened again. I am so happy to say it hasn't happened again so far! 

My hospital stay was on the last Friday night of the school holidays. I went back to school/work after Anzac Day at 18 weeks. Miss M went to day care for one day (we have swapped day cares as her last day care mum has decided to stop doing day care) and she had a day with a friend, and then I was on 7-days off again! There will be a lot of work this term with exams and reports due though and I'm already a bit overwhelmed by it all! I can only take it one day at a time though! 

At our 19 week scan we saw our little bubba, and he or she is healthy and growing well! We are having a surprise but the baby had its legs closed anyway, so we couldn't have found out if we wanted to! We got to see the chambers of the heart, and the heart was beating strong, and we could clearly see the spine, ribs, stomach, legs, feet, arms, fingers and of course the head and body! We got a CD of all the images so that's been cool to look at again! 

I'd been feeling lots of little movements, but since week 19 I've felt lots more definite kicks, especially at night and when I lay down for a rest! I'd forgotten how amazing it is to feel your baby! I absolutely love the feeling :) 

I've been still craving toast and fruit and I need to add to my list jelly, peaches and ice cream! I've also started having porridge in the mornings because it's getting colder (I was craving cereal before). It's so nice to be craving things other than sweet food (though a piece of chocolate a day is going down well!) 

At my doctor's appointment at week 21, I have gained 5kgs in total. I am really happy with this. It is just less than last pregnancy at this point but I was really sick with Miss M and didn't start gaining weight till about week 18 with her so I'm doing well. My aim is to only gain another 5kgs before third trimester and 5kgs more in the third, so 15kgs altogether.
I got to see our bubba again on the doctor's mini ultrasound machine which I just love! At the moment he or she has their head up and their feet facing down, which the doctor said isn't an issue at all at this stage - there's plenty of time to swap positions. I have actually seen a different doctor to normal this time, and at week 17, and I will see this one next appointment too (my normal doctor is really hard to get into, even though I've booked all my appointments up to the due date). I don't mind, they are both lovely :)

I've been a bit slack with walking and exercise lately, mainly because of the change in weather and because I was sick in the school holidays. I need to make a habit of going at about 4:30pm most days, before it gets too cold and dark (except on work days if I'm too tired, or if I've been able to go in the morning). 

I think that's about it for the last 4 weeks! My next doctor's appointment is in 4 weeks so I will update you all then!

Week 18

Week 19

19-week Anomaly Scan

20 weeks - half way!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.